how do I get to safe mode on my toshiba laptop - for some odd reason all of my task bar - start up items appears lock. Can only shut will down using Ctrl alt del to get to task manager. There has been a change lately in that windows started blocking applications (I think something to do with Windows Defender!!!##
1. Depress the button on your computer tower and hold it until the computer shuts down. Do not use start button method.
2. Depress and hold the F8 key on your computer keyboard to begin the process to start a computer in safe mode. Do this immediately after you push the button to start the computer. You may hear a few beeps or receive a keyboard error. This will not hurt your computer. You may have to repeat steps 1 and 2 until the computer remembers to go into safe mode.
3. Select "safe mode" on the dark screen with choices. You do not need networking at this time, so it is not necessary to select that.
4. Click the "cancel" button that will appear on your screen after the computer starts. This is the choice that does not perform a system restore. This is also the confirmation that you have started in safe mode.
5. Click "turn off computer" when you are finished working in safe mode.
PS: Another method you don't find in the computer guides.
1. Start your computer in the usual manner and when the microsoft logo appears depress the start button and hold it until the computer shuts down.
2. Wait ten seconds and start the computer again, a window should appear telling you the computer was not shut down properly and asking if you would like to start in 'safe mode'.
Hey Carolyn, Blossom asked me to give you a hand..if I could? I agree 100% with Bill on getting into Safe Mode. You could try a system restore to a date that was earlier than when you started having problems....it could fix the registery problems. Hopefully you have not got a virus that has not been detected by AVG or Norton. If the system rstore does not help you, you might have to take the computer in for to have a techie check for a virus
Hope this helps Dave
To run System Restore in safe mode Access System Restore through Help and Support. Follow the instructions on your screen. Notes
To access the System Restore Wizard, click Start, and then click Help and Support. Click Performance and Maintenance, click Using System Restore to undo changes, and then click Run the System Restore Wizard. While the computer is in safe mode, System Restore does not create any restore points. Therefore, you cannot undo a restoration that you performed when the computer was in safe mode. You can use System Restore to restore your computer to any restore point while in safe mode. If you cannot start the computer in standard mode, you can use System Restore to restore to a time when you could start the computer without errors. To restore to a time when your computer started without errors, select a restore point as close to the time you remember it last started without errors. If System Restore is suspended because of insufficient disk space, you cannot enable it by making more disk space available while in safe mode. You must restart the computer in standard mode and make more disk space available. Related Topics
Thanks for all the help folks. After spending considerable time on online with McAfee we decided that it was a virus issue - so I went to MS site and filed a support request with them - one I found a way to get into help and support - gotta remember Task bar and start menu were locked - I searched "locked task" and was directed to a performance and maintainance page - ran performance function and discover 2 conflicts - clicked on fix and viola issue resolved So no safe mode this time - but now I know where to findd the info - Thanks all and a Happy New Year to Ya!